Job Details:: Who We Are:
The mission of American Public Media Group (APMG) is to enrich the mind and nourish the spirit, thereby enhancing the lives and expanding the perspectives of our audiences and assisting them in strengthening their communities. We aspire to be the leader in creating trusted and meaningful listening experiences with and for curious people, and we seek to create a diverse, inclusive culture focused on growth and outcomes to serve our audiences.
APMG’s primary operating divisions Minnesota Public Radio, Southern California Public Radio and American Public Media offer multi-regional FM broadcast channels, website, mobile and social media channels, live events, national content creation and distribution. Together, these divisions operate 49 public radio stations and 42 translators serving regional audiences in eight states from Minnesota, Michigan and the Upper Midwest to Idaho and California; distribute a portfolio of more than twenty national programs reaching nearly 20MM listeners weekly through 1,000 radio stations; serve rapidly growing audiences on digital, social and mobile platforms; and produce an increasing and diverse array of podcasts featuring the best in food, culture, entertainment, mental health, water, early brain development, business and investigative journalism.
We’re looking for a forward-thinking and meticulously organized Manager, Operations and Special Projects with a strong analytical and agile project management background to join APM Studios, APM’s new podcast division. As the Manager, Operations and Special Projects, you will undertake a variety of analytical, business and project management tasks to support the operation, growth, sustainable production, and sales of APM Studios shows. Special emphasis will be placed on forecasting and planning, measurement and reporting, and creating efficiencies between departments. Your role will be to ensure that content, business, legal, product, marketing and sales are seamlessly working together, supporting the operation of APM Studios’ slate of shows.
We are looking for individuals who have previous analytical experience working in a fast-paced, high volume content company, are tech-savvy, podcast obsessed, self-starting, resourceful, entrepreneurial, endlessly curious, and highly ambitious. We expect impeccable time management and organization skills, strong communication and interpersonal skills, a positive attitude and a growth mindset. The Manager, Operations and Special Projects will report to the COO.
Application Deadline: Open until filled
• Maintain a comprehensive view of our podcast slate, including project management following agile best practices and coordinating with outside partners and internal departments, incl. Legal, Finance, Marketing, Audience Insights/Research and Tech Ops.
• Produce a wide variety of reports, including download and financial reports, broken down across various requirements, including quarterly, month and weekly snapshots as well as per-episode downloads and costs.
• Stay laser-focused on potential obstacles to timelines and devise effective tactics for moving past them so teams can maintain momentum.
• Organize and direct the work of cross-functional teams and track performance against goals.
• Working alongside Sr. Management, establish yearly performance and financial objectives that align with APM Studios’ plan for growth and expansion.
• Maintain mid- to long-range forecasting for APM Studios.
• In collaboration with the COO and legal counsel, monitor contracts and deals and ensure they are structured to support APM Studios’ overall KPIs.
• In collaboration with the Managing Director, Sales Strategy and Business Development, track downloads and revenue for all shows.
• Liaison with the Membership team to track performance against donation goals.
• Liaison with the Marketing team to apply learnings from past marketing investments for future decision making.
• Liaison with Finance to track revenue and expenses for individual shows and the unit.
• Liaison with the Engagement, Product and Tech Ops teams on digital/social deliverables and performance against goals.
• Liaison with Audience Insights on user data and effective dashboards that drive growth.
• Help foster a creative and productive work environment.
• Other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
• 5-7 years experience in Project Management using agile methodology
• Prior production accounting or finance experience within the media or entertainment industries
• Excellent reasoning and problem-solving skills
• Outstanding communication and presentation skills
• Self-starter with excellent time-management skills with the ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks
• Prior experience working for a media consulting or consumer-facing content company
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
• Superior analytical and forecasting skills
• Highly proficient technical skills with Microsoft Office suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
• Highly proficient technical skills with Google Office suite (Mail, Calendar, Docs, Sheets, Slides)
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to handle multiple tasks efficiently and effectively and meet tight deadlines
• Ability to successfully meet deadlines and handle multiple responsibilities under pressure on a consistent basis
Preferred Skills and Experience:
• Previous employment in a consumer-facing content company
• Prior experience working with audio, social media, ad sales or content marketing
• Voracious podcast listener
• Experience working with talent
• MBA preferred
Reporting to this Position:
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
• Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
• Ability to manage some work outside of standard office hours as needed.
• Physical Demands:
o Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time
o Required to move about in the community
o Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping
• Working Conditions:
o Moderate noise level
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are committed to hiring a breadth of diverse professionals and encourage members of diverse groups to apply.